Tracking an outstanding reply from HMRC
HMRC has launched a tracking service to help agents and members of the public keep track of when they can expect HMRC to reply to correspondence. A frequent complaint from members is the time it can take for HMRC to reply to queries and this should at least help to manage expectations.
Who can use the tracker?
If you’re an employee or you pay tax on a company pension through PAYE, you can use the tracker to check how long it will take HMRC to:
- pay your income tax refund
- reply to your general Income Tax enquiry
- provide a copy of individual information, such as your tax code or pay and tax details
- send you HMRC forms or stationery
If you’re an agent, you can also check how long it will take HMRC to:
- register you as an agent to use HMRC Online Services
- process an application for authority to act on behalf of a client
- amend your agent details
If your query is not included in these lists, you can’t use the tracker and should contact HMRC in the usual way.
We understand that more subjects will be added to the tracking service in due course.